I believe it is high time that we managers have something we can point to when we are feeling violated and that those we manage can throw in our face when we are not living up to our duty to help our people flourish.
I believe that these “Rights” are applicable in most any context whether it be work, home, play, or service. While I suspect I will not be an originalist when it comes to this Bill of Rights…meaning it will likely change some over time, RIP Justice Scalia…, I certainly believe that these Rights are important because substantial evidence suggests that when respected these Rights lead to motivation and satisfaction. If these rights are respected I believe fantastic things will happen for Minimalist Managers and their people.
- Everyone deserves the opportunity to strive toward something personally meaningful.
- Everyone deserves to have clarity of task and purpose.
- Everyone deserves to believe that they can successfully complete their work.
- Everyone deserves to have their efforts recognized.
- Everyone deserves to receive both positive and constructive task focused feedback.
- Everyone deserves to have the resources they need to complete their work.
- Everyone deserves to work with people of integrity.
- Everyone deserves to work with people who stimulate them.
- Everyone deserves to work with people who support their personal and/or professional growth.
- Everyone deserves to have the actions and attitudes that affect them guided by evidence verses bias and tradition.
I will do my best to help those who strive to be Minimalist Managers live up to this Bill of Rights by providing support for these Rights. In particular, I aim to help people with Right 10 by providing research evidence that will help people live and manage in line with the The Minimalist Management Manifesto and this Bill of Rights.
What did I miss? I would love to engage in conversation around this Bill of Rights!
In order to better manage ourselves and others information is often helpful.
If you found this helpful please share.